Experts by experience
We seek to regularly engage and collaborate with experts by experience in all our work.
We consider experts by experience to be people with recent lived or professional experience, knowledge and insight who directly contribute and engage with our work.
These key partners include:
- members of the public
- health and social care professionals
- voluntary and community organisations
- other stakeholders.
Building on our well-established relationships and networks at local, regional and national levels, we ensure the involvement and engagement of experts in all our research, dissemination and engagement activities.
Our aims and objectives are to:
- improve support available to our experts by experience and research teams to maximise awareness of engagement and involvement in research;
- link to a range of resources to help understand, develop and enable experts by experience to engage with, and be involved in, our research;
- connect regularly with experts and stakeholders to develop a shared and consistent approach;
- develop and strengthen partnerships and opportunities for collaboration and ensure effective communication between partners;
- ensure a focus on inclusion, equality and diversity, and widening participation – working closely with patient and community groups in each region to ensure any approaches are sensitively developed in specific social and cultural contexts.
We work closely with a number of partners and organisations to deliver our aims and objectives. These include:
- VOICE Global in Newcastle, part of the National Innovation Centre for Ageing
- Manchester Institute for Collaborative Research on Ageing (MICRA)
- Greater Manchester Older People’s Network
- Newcastle Elders Council
Learn more about getting involved in our research.
Read about how we engage with experts by experience in this OFPPRU Case Study: Exploring older people’s support needs for making healthier decisions about alcohol during COVID-19.
For more information on our approach to PPIE see our Strategy which is updated annually.